Civil security for society
Dealing with challenges arising from persistent security threats,
including cybercrime, as well as natural and man-made disasters.
2021-2027 budget: €1.596 billion
Proposals for topics under this Destination should set out a credible pathway to contributing to the following expected impact of the Horizon Europe Strategic Plan 2021-2024: “Crime and terrorism are more effectively tackled, while respecting fundamental rights, [...] thanks to more powerful prevention, preparedness and response, a better understanding of related human, societal and technological aspects, and the development of cutting-edge capabilities for police authorities including measures against cybercrime.
Areas of intervention
- Modern information analysis for Police Authorities, allowing them to efficiently fight criminals and terrorists who use novel technologies;
- Improved forensics and lawful evidence collection, increasing the capabilities to apprehend criminals and terrorists and bring them to the court;
- Enhanced prevention, detection and deterrence of societal issues related to various forms of crime, including cybercrime, and terrorism, such as violent radicalisation, domestic and sexual violence, or juvenile offenders;
- Increased security of citizens against terrorism, including in public spaces (while preserving their quality and openness);
- Improved intelligence picture and enhanced prevention, detection and deterrence of various forms of organised crime;
- More secure cyberspace for citizens, especially children, through a robust prevention, detection, and protection from cybercriminal activities. This Destination will also promote, whenever appropriate and applicable, the proposals with:
- the involvement of the Police Authorities in their core, a clear strategy on how they will adapt to the fast-evolving environment in the area of fight against crime and terrorism (evolution of related technologies, evolution of criminal modi operandi and business models related to these technologies, etc.),
- a minimum-needed platform, i.e. tools that are modular and can be easily plugged into another platform (in order to avoid platform multiplication),
- tools that are developed and validated against practitioners’ needs and requirements, a robust plan on how they will build on the relevant predecessor projects,
Funding opportunities under Horizon Europe are set out in multiannual work programmes, which cover the large majority of support available.