Public employment services
In EU countries, public employment services (PES) are the authorities that connect jobseekers with employers.
Although structured differently in each country, all PES help match supply and demand on the labour market through information, placement and active support services at local, national and European level.
- European Network of Public Employment Services
- PES Knowledge Centre
- PARES – Partnership between Employment Services
Find a national public employment service:
European network of Public Employment Services
The European network of Public Employment Services was established following a Decision – amended in 2020 – by the Council and the European Parliament to maximise efficiency of public employment services (PES).
The network comprises all EU countries, Norway, Iceland and the European Commission. It aims to:
- compare PES performance through benchmarking
- identify evidence-based good practices and foster mutual learning (individual PES practices can be found in the PES Repository and outputs from the network activities can be found in the PES Knowledge Centre)
- promote the modernisation and strengthening of PES service delivery, including of the Youth Guarantee
- prepare inputs to the European Employment Strategy and the corresponding national labour market policies.
The Network is governed by a Board, where each Member State and the Commission are represented by two members. The Board meets twice a year to conduct strategic discussions and take decisions on the activities of the Network.
The PES Network Newsletter is intended to raise awareness of the work of the Network and disseminate learning resources to PES colleagues and other stakeholders. It is issued quarterly to highlight the latest publications, new items as well as forthcoming events.
If you would like to receive the Newsletter, please register or send an e-mail to the PES Network secretariat.
- PES Network Newsletter, April 2022 issue
- PES Network Newsletter, December 2021 issue
- PES Network Newsletter, July 2021 issue
PESPod is the new podcast of the PES Network! Join us each month with different interviewees from across the Network, giving a new way to keep in touch with perspectives on issues being talked about by Public Employment Services across Europe.
Search for “PESPod” wherever you normally get your podcasts to download episodes and subscribe. Alternatively, find and listen to every episode of PESPod here.
Key network documents